Trace: Test with Trace
In this step you will use Trace to validate that all of the previous configuration is working as expected. You will get a trace ID, add it to your application (or use the Tealium Tool), perform a simple test, then inspect the logs in the Trace interface.
Before you begin, if you will be testing a web page you will need the Tealium Tools browser extension. Select the install link for your browser:
Start a trace
Follow these steps to perform a test with Trace:
- In the sidebar select Trace.
- Under New Trace, click Start.
- Copy the trace ID provided and click Continue.
- Activate the trace ID using one of the following methods:
- Tealium Tools
- Open a new browser window to your test page.
- Click the Tealium Tools browser extension and click AudienceStream Trace.
- Enter the trace ID from step 2 and click Start Trace.
- Data Layer Attribute
tealium_trace_idto the data layer of your code installation and set it to the value of the trace ID.
- In the HTTP API, this means adding a query string parameter:
- In a Swift app, for example, it will look like this:
tealium?.volatileData()?.add(data: ["tealium_trace_id": "012345"])
- Proceed with your test case work flow.
This may mean refreshing the page, navigating through some pages, making a purchase, or viewing some screens in a native app.
- Return to the Trace interface to inspect the log details.
The Trace log will update automatically as EventStream processes the traced event. It will display the event data details, the matched spec, any matched feeds, and any triggered connector actions. If there were any errors, those will be provided as well with additional details of the issue.
The Trace image belows reflects the validation of the previously configured components using the Search with No Results example.
In this case:
- ✓ The event spec for
- ✓ The event feed was matched.
- ✓ The Google Sheets connector was triggered.
Here are some things to check if you didn’t see the expected trace log:
- Did you use the correct trace ID in your test?
- Did you save and publish your account after adding the event spec, event feed, and connector action?
- Did you set
- Does the value of
tealium_eventmatch the name of the spec?
- Does your test event match the conditions of the event feed?
Great job! You’ve made it to the end of this simple getting started guide. The next step will quickly cover the save and publish process followed by some helpful links for additional reading.
Thank you for your feedback!
This page was last updated: February 21, 2023