If you need more than the three default environments, you can create custom environments to give you more options.
How it works
The environments to which you publish a profile correspond to the URL of the Universal Tag (
utag.js) that you load on your site. The default environments correspond to the following URL paths:
- Dev -
- QA -
- Prod -
If you need more than the three default environments, you can create custom environments to give you more options. The name of a custom publish environment is lower-cased to create the environment portion of the
utag.js file’s URL. For example, if you create a custom publish environment named Stage, the URL path to the
utag.js file in that environment would be:
Enabling custom publish environments
Before you can create to a custom environment, you must enable the feature.
To enable custom publish environments:
- Click Save/Publish to open the Save dialog, then click Configure Publish Settings.
- In the Implementation section, set the Custom Publish Environments toggle to On.
- Click Save.
The feature is now enabled.
Adding a custom publish environment
Once the feature is enabled, you can create new environments.
To create a custom publish environment:
- From the User Admin menu, select Code Center.
- In the side panel, click +Add Environment.
- Enter the name of the new environment and click Add Environment. You may not use spaces or special characters in the name of the new environment, only numbers and letters.
You can delete a custom environment by clicking Delete in the upper-right corner of the Code Center dialog window. You will receive a prompt confirming deletion.
Publishing to a custom environment
Once you have created a custom publish environment, you can now publish to it. Permission to publish to custom environments is granted via the Publish Dev.
To publish to a custom environment:
- Click Save/Publish.
- In the Publish To section click the new option, Custom. A Custom Environment drop-down will appear above the custom publish history area.
- If you have more than one custom publish environment, you must select the environment you wish to publish to from the drop-down list.
- Click Publish.
Thank you for your feedback!
This page was last updated: January 7, 2023