Chartbeat Tag Setup Guide
This article describes how to set up the Chartbeat tag.
Tag Specifications and Requirements
- Name: Chartbeat
- Vendor: Chartbeat
- Type: Real-time Web Analytics
Services: Chartbeat Account
- Chartbeat User ID
Tag Configuration in Tealium iQ
Adding the Tag
Tealium iQ’s Tag marketplace offers a wide variety of tags. Click here to learn how to add a tag to your profile.
Configuring the Tag
- Title (Required): Enter a descriptive title to identify the tag instance.
- User ID (Required): Enter the numeric user ID provided to you by Chartbeat. This can be found in your Chartbeat account. For example,
- Domain (Required): Enter the domain name where you want to implement Chartbeat. Do not include the prefix
www. For example,
- Use Canonical (Optional): Choose whether or not you want Chartbeat to use the Canonical path (the preferred URL) to access a page. By default, the Use Canonical drop-down is set to false, in which case Chartbeat will use the page’s actual URL.
trueif you want Chartbeat to use the canonical path you have defined using a link element in your site’s HTML.
For example, assume a page can be accessed by two different URLs:
But only URL #2 is set as canonical. By enabling the Use Canonical field, Chartbeat can use your preferred URL#2 for tracking purpose.
You have the option to override this selection by mapping to the
You may use the Data Mapping toolbox to override or dynamically set the tag settings for #2 through #4.
Applying Load Rules
Load Rules determine when and where to load an instance of this tag. The Load on All Pages rule is the default Load Rule. To load this tag on a specific page, create a new load rule with the relevant conditions.
Leave the default Load on All pages rule as is. Chartbeat, like most analytics Tags, is recommended to load on all pages of the site to ensure accurate data collection.
Setting up Mappings
Mapping is the simple process of sending data from a data source, in your Data Layer, to the matching destination variable of the vendor tag. The destination variables for this tag are available in the Mapping toolkit. (how to map a Data Source to a tag destination?)
- User ID: Map to this destination to send the numeric user ID, one that Chartbeat has provided you.
- Domain: Map to this destination to send the domain name where Chartbeat is implemented.
- Use Canonical (canonical): Map to this destination to indicate whether or not the page’s url is Canonical. Make sure the value in the data source is either
- title: Map to this destination to send the page’s current title.
- path: Map to this variable to send the page’s path.
- sections: Map to this variable to send section information that contains the content you want Chartbeat to track. Multiple sections must be sent as a comma-separated list of values.
- authors: Map to this variable to send information about the content’s author. Multiple authors must be sent as a comma-separated list of values.
Thank you for your feedback!
This page was last updated: April 5, 2016